Hannah's year in London- captured via maps, her lifelong affection.
Trip Stats
Grand Total:
Miles Traveled 45,062
Cities Visited 33 (in 17 countries)
Sunday, February 12, 2012
Marrakech- Trip of the Year
Hello hello hello!
I apologize for the longest break I've taken from posting during term. Please forgive me! As always, it has been busy in London. This past weekend my dear friend Kelly Vlaskamp visited from Barcelona and we had a blast touring the city. Haha jam packed days don't leave much time for blogging, but I am updating you all now. Kelly's visit post is forthcoming.
I left off a few days before leaving for Morocco, and while I've been home now 6 days I am still in Marrakech withdrawal. To sum up, it was an incredible trip. I'm not going to post all my pictures here, but the link to the complete album is here. Feel free to check it out!
We stayed in the Riad Layla Rouge hostel, in the heart of the Souks and medina. This arguably was the best asset of the trip, as Malik, the host, gave us fantastic service and advice. We had a traditional Moroccan breakfast on the rooftop terrace each morning- with strong Arabic coffee, pancakes, chocolate butter and fresh squeezed orange juice. The bright sun would warm us as we planned our days.
Breakfasts on the roof. Already missed so much!
The hostel lobby.
Hiad, the cleaning lady. This is looking down from the roof. The riad is open in the middle. Our room was behind Hiad.
We were a few minutes walk from the Djemma el Fna, the large central square filled with food stalls, snake charmers, local music and dancing, orange juice vendors, henna artists and macaroon dealers. I could not keep my jaw from dropping the first time we visited, but each time through I got more comfortable and could navigate without being stopped to buy bracelets and henna. It was the heart of Marrakech for sure. I loved feeling the energy. It's definitely alive!
Fresh orange juice! 4 dirham- $0.40 basically :)
Fruit and nuts. Loved the apricots, pistachios and candied peanuts.
A food stall where we had our first meal. Such efficiency!
First meal. Tangines and cous cous galore!
We toured Marrakech on Thursday, our first full day. We started at Palace el Bahia, the beautiful 19th century palace before heading to Saadian's Tombs and a carpet factory. Here are some pictures.
Sofia, Aleeza and I.
One of the courtyards in the Palace.
The intricacy was stunning.
Gardens within the Palace.
On our way to Saadian's tombs. Moroccan streets are crazy for sure.
Tangine pots!
Inside Saadian's Tombs. There were great flowers.
There were many many tombs.
Now we are at the carpet factory! A random man on the street led us here, and I'm so glad we went with him!
I got to practice one stitch. Incredible.
Carpets carpets everywhere!
On the roof of the carpet factory, near the Royal Palace.
We were pretty wiped out after this day. We had a great dinner in the square and relaxed in the hostel for the night. We were preparing for our excursion the next morning!
On Friday we embarked at 7 in the morning for a day trip through the High Atlas Mountains, Aït Benhaddou and Ouarzazate. We had a berber guide and got to ride camels! Here are some highlights.
2/3 up the High Atlas Mountains.
The girlsss
The boys, Bernardo and Jeff.
On the snow capped peaks of the High Atlas.
So cold!!!
Aleeza and I.
In the clouds.
After the descent- now on camels! You can see the High Atlas in the background.
Entering the Aït Benhaddou casbah.
Looking down from the casbah.
Friends!!
Friday night we attempted to go the Club Pacha, but were severely early. Haha we are tuned to London time where you go out at 9 or 10. After our cab circle ride we relaxed in the hostel- still fun!
Saturday was Jeff's last day so we tried to see the remaining Marrakech sights before he left. He are some shots of the Souks, Ben Youssef Medersa and Majorelle Gardens.
Lamps everywhere!
The narrow Souks.
Ben Youssef Medersa, the old Quarnic learning center.
Majorella Gardens. The cobalt was incredible!
.
I love Marrakech.
Saturday night we ventured away from Moroccan food and had Italian.
On Sunday I went with Aleeza and Sofia to a traditional hamman, a Moroccan bathhouse. It was probably one of the best experiences of my life. We were scrubbed with the slimy black soap by Moroccan women. So much dead skin was sloshed away. My skin is still radiant! I bought a scrub mitt just like the ones used for London. Speaking of shopping, I had so much fun buying unique gifts for family and friends. I also bought a handmade silk tunic. I can't wait to wear it!
After packing we had our last lunch and ventured to the airport for our last moments in Morocco. Our flight was delayed due to snow in London, which wasn't too much of a problem until we started flying. Unfortunately, there were absolutely belligerent men on the flight that created a living nightmare for all other passengers. The flight attendants encouraged their behavior because they wanted to sell more alcohol. So while it was terrible, I can't complain all too much because I flew roundtrip to Africa for $80.
Here's a map of the journey.
London to Marrakech, 1,900 miles.
Marrakech (E) to High Atlas Mountains (B) to Aït Benhaddou (C) to Ouarzazate (D) and back. 200 miles.
I hope this gave you a good sense of the trip. Words can't describe the sounds, smells and feelings abound. But I would love to share more about it. You know how to contact me!
Also if you're interested in going let me know and I can give you more details and practical tips.
So my video obsession of the week is not a music one, it's politically charged.
I'm really impressed and inspired with this video. Pass it along.
Hope all is well!
Posts about Kelly's visit will follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment