Trip Stats

Grand Total:
Miles Traveled 45,062
Cities Visited 33 (in 17 countries)

Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas is in the air


Greetings from Dublin!

I am currently in the new terminal 2 in Dublin airport awaiting my departure to Chicago! It has been a whirlwind of travel in the last week. This is my 4th airport in 6 days, and getting to my 5th at O’Hare later today. Needless to say I’m getting pretty good at security, especially my water chugging abilities, as I always forget to finish my water before getting in line. Haha the TSA agents seem to be impressed (Or think I’m cheap for not just buying a new bottle of water beyond security). Regardless, I am looking forward to the last moment in the airport when I pick up my luggage and go see my family!

Before I tell you about my most recent trip, I’ll fill you in on the end of Michaelmas term. Week 10 brought final lectures and classes. I noticed huge drops in attendance. Full time LSE students explained that many people use their one absence this week and go home after week 9. Very interesting.

The weekend before I spent many hours getting final papers together. I spent 14 hours in the library on Sunday writing my environmental economics essay on environmental taxes. Haha it was thrilling. In class on Monday we had a debate on strong vs. weak sustainability. Unfortunately I was on the weak sustainability team (an awful position in my opinion) and had to use every logic trick in the book to make a case for it. We lost, but that’s okay. We still got chocolate. Our TA rocks. 





Ok hopefully you'll all still read beyond here. I may have bored some of you to death. Yeah those were the graphs I used in my paper.

On Tuesday I went to the Shoe Lane Library near St. Paul’s and the City. I checked out some travel books on Portugal and found their DVD television section. This will be dangerous in Lent Term with all seasons of Sex and the City, The Good Wife, The Wire, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia ect. If I don’t post for weeks on end it will be safe to assume I haven’t been traveling, just watching boxed sets of shows because the weather will be so gloomy.

On Wednesday I had to honor to be a reader in the LSE Christmas Carol Service. I have come to be good friends with the chaplain at LSE and he invited me to read Isaiah 11: 1-9. Heads definitely turned when I began with my American accent. The LSE choir sang beautiful carols and Friar Timothy Radcliffe OP gave the guest address. I was lucky to chat with him after the service and hear about his upcoming trips.

After the Carol service I went to Brick Lane for Netball club dinner. The entirety of the Netball club gets dressed up and shares a massive Indian curry meal. Haha it was quite the sight to see 200+ girls eating samosas and naan.  I didn’t go out after because I had my last psychology paper due in the morning. But I hear it was an epic night at Zoo Bar as always.

Julia and I. 
The 7ths! We are 3rd in our league. Yeah baby!

After classes on Thursday I went shopping with Aleeza on Oxford Street. It was gorgeous to see the lights and windows. We also got Belgium waffles and crepes! I was in search for a great cable knit sweater but just couldn’t find one I loved that was under £100 ($160). I can’t wait to have buying power again in the states! US Dollar, bring it on.

Oxford St has the best lights! Here's Aleeza. 

Thursday night I got to see a lot of friends and wish them well for the break. I went to Porterhouse Brewery in Covent Garden with Meredith. We had to try their signature brew. It was the Porterhouse Red and quite good. It was great catching up with her! We made plans to hang out more next term and hopefully go to Berlin! Then I met up with Sofia and some of her friends at Dirty Martini. Haha I am starting to become a regular there, the bartenders know me. Allie, Katie and Meggie also joined us there. By then our group was too big so we ventured to Leiscester Square. Long Acre had a private function so our group split and Allie, Katie, Meggie and I tried Verve. It had been on the hilarious bucket list of places to try. Haha well we more than tried it, we shut it down. Our Australian friends were quite the dancers.

Passion fruit I believe. 
We are trying them all by the end of the year. They are so good!

Morgan, Katherine, James and Sofia, BC friends!

My quiet Thursday night turning into a late one officially began the bizarre sleep schedule I am still on. Friday I slept in because I knew that night I wouldn’t be sleeping as we were catching a 3:30 AM cab to Gatwick for our flight to Portugal. I tied off all loose ends in London, packed my swimsuit, flip flops and sundresses and headed to Bankside to spend the night for our cab. 

Ok, I ran out of time. My layover wasn't long enough! 
Haha I am going to upload some pics quickly, for a peek of sorts.
Later I'll add more with stories, maps, more pics, videos ect.

Time to fly to Chicago!
But first, your sneak preview of Portugal.
Enjoy!

Love you all

















No comments:

Post a Comment