My great debate of Friday morning has been whether to split or combine my Spain cities into separate posts or one large one. I've decided on one amazing Spanish post.
I'll do my best to keep it moving!
As with my other posts, here are links to the full photo albums. I took some awesome pictures, so feel free to check them out! I literally took over 840 pictures in 12 days, but have cut them down to the best 300 or so. Enjoy!
Ibiza Album
Barcelona Album
Valencia Album
I'll also start with the map. We left Friday March 16 for Ibiza, actually sleeping that night in the Barcelona airport as we awaited our 6am flight on the 17th. We came back to Barcelona on Monday night the 19th. I was there until Friday night the 23rd, when I headed to Valencia until Tuesday afternoon, the 27th.
 |
London (F) to Ibiza (C) to Barcelona (D) to Valencia (E) back to London (F)- 2,668 miles.
|
So as you read, we spent the first night in the airport. Never thought I would do that! The accommodation definitely improved in Ibiza.
 |
| Getting ready for our 5 hour nap. Haha worst night of sleep ever. |
 |
| Ibiza City! We were landing at this point. The walls you see are the walls from Old City which we climbed the second night. |
 |
| Our hotel. We got such a great deal because it's the off season! |
 |
| The Pool and Sea. |
 |
| From the Balcony. |
 |
| The Heated Indoor Pool. Amazing! |
 |
| The unheated outdoor pool. I did swim a few laps though! |
After exploring the hotel and immediate area we lounged by the pool all afternoon. I got pretty sunburned, but for the first time ever, it didn't peel! Haha I now have a semi-tan.
That night we ventured into the middle of island, to the village of Sant Josep. We had read that on March 19 and the weekends touching it is the one day of winter where the island turns into a party like the summer. It's the celebration for Saint Joseph, the father of Jesus. It's the same principle that Las Fallas celebration takes place in Valencia. Well, our research was somewhat right. There was a festival that we stayed at for a bit. Not as crazy as we thought, but still fun.
 |
| When we got there. |
 |
| The bands and people. Haha lots of hippie outfits. |
The next day we had a lazy morning by the pool and napping before heading out and exploring the cliffs by our hotel.
 |
| Cody and I on the balcony. I loved the weather!! |
 |
| The Mediterranean Sea! |
 |
| Aleeza and I relaxing. |
That night we climbed the walls of the old city and then had a delicious dinner.
 |
| At the top of the Old City, on the cannons they used for protection. |
 |
| Pulpitos! My first of many octopus dishes. |
 |
| Da Boys- Cody and Bernie. Such great friends |
On Monday morning we rented bikes and rode to the southern most tip of the Ibiza Island, to Playa de Salines. It was tricky going in the beginning, but we all made it to the beach!
 |
| The leader biker. Thanks for taking my bad bike! |
 |
| One of beaches on the way south. The water was great!! |
 |
| My first of 3 bike rentals in Spain. It's a great way to see a place! |
After getting caught in the rain and one last swim we caught our flight to BARCELONA!
Our original hostel was right off Las Ramblas. After checking in and spending the night we knew we could not stay there all week. It was extremely loud, dirty and the staff were really rude. In the morning we checked into a reasonable hotel nearby.
And Sofia joined us as well! Barcelona was amazing. Here are the picture highlights!
 |
| Plaza Reial, near where our first hostel was. |
 |
| Street art on Las Ramblas. |
 |
| Aleeza and I took some much needed girl time and had DELICIOUS gelato. I could live on this stuff. |
 |
| When we met back up with the group, Sofia had arrived! We had a great tapas and paella lunch. So great to have her smiling face with us :) |
 |
| Paella de los Mariscos. |
After lunch we went to Sagrada Familia, the famous Antonio Gaudi church. It was absolutely stunning. It's still not done, hence the cranes.
 |
| The crucification entrance. |
 |
| Ceilings inside. Stunning. |
 |
| Gaudi's side, the nativity entrance. |
Then we took an elevator up the towers!
 |
| Looking out over Barcelona. Very windy! |
 |
| Bernie and I walking back down. |
 |
| The girls! Aleeza, Sofia and I. |
Continuing on the Gaudi path, we then went to Parc Guell- a fantasy park designed by Gaudi.
 |
| Ceramic benches. |
 |
| The Lizard by the entrance. |
 |
| Parc Guell. |
After that we walked through the Bari Gotic, when we found out at the FC Barcelona store that the game the boys were seeing supposedly the next night was actually in a few hours! So they left for the game, and Sofia Aleeza and I went to the Picasso Museum and had tapas.
When the game was over the boys got back and we all went out to Espit Chupitos, the shots bar! They are famous for all kinds of shots. After that Aleeza and I went to Club Opium at Port Olimpic. We got in for free and stayed until 5:00AM when the club closed! What a night!!
 |
| Our first round. This one was on fire! |
 |
| Shots! |
 |
| Second round. More fire! |
 |
| Aleeza and I at Club Opium. |
The next day I forgot my camera, but did borrow a few pictures from Sofia. It was rainy so we started at Mercat de la Boqueria, the amazing food market. I ate chocolate, cheese, octopus, ham, tapas, and drank fresh juice and white wine. After the market we went to the bookstore, and wandered around more before having one last pitcher of sangria with Aleeza. Well, really 2. We had one for a snack, and then one at our tapas dinner.
 |
| My block of manchego queso. So good! |
 |
| At the last dinner with Aleeza. I am in love with sangria. |
That night we planned to go out, but actually were too tired. Sofia and I were ready though!
The next day was our last full day with the boys before they headed off inter-railing in Europe. We met up at Arc de Triomf and then started our day. I didn't realize there were many of these in the world!
 |
| A delicious, if unhealthy, lunch. Patatas Bravas are to die for. And of course, sangria. |
 |
| Walking to the Bike Shop. |
 |
| Mama Sofia watching our bikes |
 |
| The hotel we stayed at after the hostel disaster. |
 |
| On the bike ride, near Plaça d'Espanya and Montjuïc. |
 |
| At the top, at Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya |
Later that night we went to an amazing Spanish guitar concert in a cathedral in the Bari Gotic.
Enjoy!
After the concert we had a delicious Italian meal. Kudos to Bernie for finding a great place!
 |
| Our wine even was decanted! |
 |
| Tiramisu for dessert. Mmmm |
On Friday Sofia and I had a girls day. We started with a leisurely breakfast at a cafe before exploring Le Pedrera (another Gaudi building) and relaxing at the beach.
 |
| Cafe con leche, pan chocolate y quiche tomate |
 |
| Gaudi's La Pedrera |
 |
| BEACH! |
 |
| I love the water. |
 |
| Cute cute cute! |
That brings me to the end of my time in Barcelona. Are you still with me? At 7pm I caught a bus to Valencia and checked into my hostel for a much needed night's rest. I had not been sleeping enough! This is the start of my solo trip!
 |
| My Hostel! |
 |
| The reception. And yes, Cocoa Bear did come to Spain! |
After getting a great night's sleep I went to the Plaza de la Virgen at noon for a free walking tour. It was really well done and I got a good sense of the historic district.
 |
| Fountain Turia. |
 |
| Torres de Serranos. I climbed these the next day! |
 |
| The nameless statue. |
 |
| Fallas! |
 |
| Torre del Micalet. |
 |
| One of the authentic horchaterias in Valencia. So good! |
 |
| La Lonja, the old Chamber of Commerce. |
After the walking tour I had lunch with Matt, who I met on the tour and was from Florida. I had traditional cured ham and cheese as a started, and of course more paella. Valencia is where it was first made!
 |
| Paella de los mariscos. |
 |
| Can't forget tiramisu. |
That afternoon I took a proper siesta (nap) and woke up in time to have dinner and go out! I first took a walk to Calle Colon and by the Plaza del Ayuntamiento with the famous town hall.
 |
| The Mercet Central at night. I go in a different day! |
 |
| The famous town hall, lit up at night. |
 |
| Plaza de toros. This is where the bull fighting used to take place! |
When I got back I met up with Lia and Jen, 2 girls I met who were staying at my hostel. They're studying in Seville for the semester. So jealous they're in Spain! We went on the bar crawl hosted by the hostel. It look you to 4 bars and then a club at the end. Unfortunately, it was kind of a rip off in terms of the free drinks they promise you. But all in all it was still a fun night!
On Sunday I went back around to sights I saw on the walking tour that I wanted to see more of. Luckily, admission to everything was free so I was able to do a lot. Here is the S.I. Catedral de Valencia, that has the Holy Grail in it! I snuck into mass and listened to the beautiful choir. I then climbed its bell tower.
 |
| The Holy Grail (supposedly) is behind the class, behind the altar. There was a first communion taking place in the chapel as well. |
 |
| Before I climbed. |
 |
| At the top! My legs were dead. |
 |
| Looking over Plaza de le Reina. |
 |
| Micalet Bell. |
Then I went to the Roman Ruins museum, which had real ruins from what Valencia was built over.
 |
| Halfway up Torres de Serranos. |
 |
| Now at the top of Torres de Serranos! I also bought a hat on my way there. I love it! |
My walk continues.
 |
| Plaza del Carmen. Lovely! |
 |
| Where I had lunch. Look at that paella! |
 |
| Botanic Gardens. They were very peaceful and beautiful. |
 |
| The Modern Art Museum. I liked it, and didn't feel bad about leaving early because it was free! I was getting tired. |
 |
| Another great snack for the night. More horchata and fartons. |
I then had a few tapas and wine near my hostel, before calling it an early night. I had a big day planned for Monday!
In the morning I went to the Mercat Central, before renting a bike and venturing all through the Turia Riverbed (that's now a lovely park), to the stunning Arts and Sciences complex, to the beach and port, and finally to Albufera, the natural park south of Valencia. Here are pictures!
 |
| Mercat Central. |
 |
| Raw Octopus, what I ate a lot of. Well, cooked. |
 |
| I can't NOT buy cheese :) |
 |
| View from the outside. |
 |
| Valencian Oranges in the park. |
 |
| Turia Riverbed Park. |
And now begins the Cuidads de les artes y sciencias. It's an amazing architectural masterpiece. It's an art museum, history museum, aquarium and science museum. I didn't go in, but enjoyed the work from outside.
Pretty cool, huh? I spent a ton of time riding through and getting lots of cool angles for shots. I could have photographed this for days! But my bike was calling me onwards.
I then made it to the beach for a HUGE delicious lunch. Best sangria of the trip. Look at that fruit!
 |
| Delicious flan for dessert. |
 |
| Valencia Beach! |
 |
| The largest sand castle I've ever seen! Check out the detail!! |
After lunch I embarked for what I thought was an 8-10km ride down to Albufera. Well, it turned out to be MUCH longer. I had some setbacks along the way but was really determined to make it and see the lake and rice paddies. My map blew away shortly after leaving, and the chain on my bike fell off while I was in the middle of nowhere. I was never more happy that my dad has shown me how to fix that!
I repaired my bike and decided to press on. I FINALLY made it to Albufera. By the end I thought it would never come. I was literally crying because I was so happy and exhausted. I arrived and took a nice boat ride through the area.
 |
| My guide. Look at that swag. |
 |
| Approaching the paddies. |
 |
| There were a lot of birds there too. |
 |
| Finally getting to relax! |
 |
| Ultimate comfort. |
Here is a video I took of the area.
 |
| Birds flying in. |
When I got back from the boat I checked the time and realized I had 53 minutes until the bike shop closed in Downtown Valencia! I had no choice but to bike like hell and make it back. I did about 30km in an hour. When I turned my bike in I was absolutely exerted. I treated myself to a delicious cupcake and wonderful wine and pasta dinner!
 |
| So good. |
And that brings me to the end of my trip!
I hope I didn't ramble on too much. I had a lot to share and wanted to do Spain justice.
I absolutely loved the culture, people, food and language. My Spanish did improve over the trip and by the end I was holding semi full conversations with locals. People were obviously patient with me, but it was really fun to practice communicating in a different language.
I made back to London pretty much okay. I had to pay extra for my bag which was annoying. But London has been great so far. I am catching up with life, correspondence, pictures and of course this blog.
Right now I am off school until April 23 and am meant to be revising for the huge exams. I have kind of started, but will work lots more, after my SISTER COMES!!
Ah I can't wait! Hope arrives tomorrow morning in London and she is with me for a week! I can't can't wait. We are also going to Paris next Tuesday. We will take lots of fun pics I promise!
Ok in the meantime I am going to run and enjoy the beautiful weather in London.
Talk to you all soon!
All my love,
Hannah
Our original hostel was right off Las Ramblas. After checking in and spending the night we knew we could not stay there all week. barcelone ibiza
ReplyDelete